Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Asset Tracking Discussion

DiscussionsAsset TrackingEquipment Tracking in Electric Company Trucks.

Equipment Tracking in Electric Company Trucks.

By D. Morris 2019-05-03 06:22:53 PM

I have a contract with an electric company which has about 50 trucks. Each one has 2 side bins full of tools. They've been "losing" a lot of expensive tools, so I'm considering putting RFID tags on the larger items and putting a reader in each truck's bin. The idea being that we should know what is in those bins at all times. We want to have the bins lock/unlock with the employee's RFID tag as well, so John Smith puts a hammer drill in the bin at the yard, at 7:04AM today, and it stayed in the bin until Bill Jones walked by and unlocked the bin and opened the door, which point it was no longer in scan range, so it must have been removed. Then, at 3pm, Frank WIlliams unlocked the bin on his truck and when he closed it, the stock reader said that John and Bill's hammer drill was in that truck.

Anyway, that's the idea. The head of IT is talking about getting arduinos and plugins and coding something to make it talk to our servers. I'm looking for hardware that's already good-to-go and has an API we can access to pull data and get this tracking online.

Any ideas, experience? Anyone know what kind of readers I should be looking at?

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
Equipment Tracking in Electric Company Trucks.
By D. Morris

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL