Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Innovation Discussion

DiscussionsInnovationRFID for Farm Animal Tracking

RFID for Farm Animal Tracking

By A. Kumar 2013-11-25 01:58:31 AM

In 2012 the New Zealand government made it mandatory for all Cattle and Deer to have RFID tags. This requirement is to track animals to prevent the spread of tuberculosis and other foot and mouth diseases. Being a farmer myself, I decided to create my own Microsoft Windows based RFID Software which has a simple but customisable front-end and interfaces with HDX and FDX RFID Readers. I can read the Passive RFID Tags and transmit the Tag ID via Bluetooth to my Laptop (soon on Android tablets). The Tag Data is written to an Excel Spreadsheet where I can the add whatever data related to that animal ID. I can then upload my animal data in the required format to the NZ government website every time the status of my animal changes. Besides the compliance requirements, I can now keep record of other data such as milk production, medication, buy and sell price and whatever I wish.

RFID technology has made my farming life easier.

Should Farm Animal Tracking using RFID become mandatory in all countries?

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
RFID for Farm Animal Tracking
By A. Kumar

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL