Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Tags and Readers Discussion

DiscussionsTags and ReadersVery small RFID for arrows

Very small RFID for arrows

By P. Cave 2016-12-09 04:25:46 PM

Apologies if this subject has been covered before - I'm coming to this subject from outside the industry and my searches have so far drawn a blank.

I'm interested in very small RFID transmitters - ideally less than the size of a grain of rice - which can fit inside the rear tip of an arrow and might be useful for locating lost arrows.

I take part in a sport called field archery here in the UK: a long amble through woodland with occasional shots at foam animal targets (no live hunting here - it's illegal in the UK). UInlike target archery, the terrain is more interesting, the target distances have to be estimated and all the targets are different sizes.

However, this does lead to misses and sometimes lost arrows, which can travel a fair distance and bury themselves in undergrowth. At present, we scratch around in the undergrowth and often, but not always, find our misses.

I'm wondering whether RFID technology/miniaturisation has evolved to a point where a small transmitter can be placed inside the arrow nock (the bit at the rear of the arrow which sits on the bow's string) which could be used with a matched RFID locator to find lost arrows? It may be that this technology already exists, in which case I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. Happy to expand on the requirements if needed...

Philip

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
Very small RFID for arrows
By P. Cave
RE: Very small RFID for arrows
By R. Clark

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL