Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Tags and Readers Discussion

DiscussionsTags and ReadersEffect of metal on antennas

Effect of metal on antennas

By H. Sieber 2019-09-17 12:29:36 PM

We design and install RFID systems for trash trucks used for recycling. The original design used the now obsolete TIRIS readers, at 134.2 khz. The antenna is mounted on a large metal lift gate. I would like to emulate the truck installation at my home office so as to pre-tune the antenna prior to shipment to remote locations. The question is, does the thickness of metal affect the rf properties? The only large pieces of metal I have are file cabinets and appliances, and they are thin sheet metal as opposed to the large and heavy lift gate on the truck. Will using thin metal allow accurate tuning? For reference the antenna is a simple loop at 27 uH, embedded in a 1 foot square uhmw block. The loop is 9 in. in dia and about 1.5 in from the metal plane. The lift gate is about 2 x 3 ft. My intuition says the metal thickness will have little effect but I'm hoping someone will confirm.

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
Effect of metal on antennas
By H. Sieber
RE: Effect of metal on antennas
By I. Lai

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL