- Smart Packaging, Smarter Cards
Swedish startup Cypak offers RFID technology that tamper-proofs mail, increases the security of smart cards and helps people take their medicine.
- Paxar Unveils New RFID Label Printer
The supplier of Monarch-brand products has introduced a label printer and teamed to offer software to help companies achieve Wal-Mart compliance.
- Smart Labels Set to Soar
A report predicts demand for RFID-enabled smart labels will accelerate sharply, fueled by new applications and falling prices.
- Shock Absorbers for Smart Labels
Appleton develops printable paper labels that protect embedded RFID microchips from electrostatic and mechanical damage.
- MPI Rolls Out Label Applicator
A new device writes data to preprinted labels containing RFID transponders and then applies the labels to packaging.
- RFID Journal Launches Print Edition
The world's leading authority on RFID technology and its business applications plans to publish a quarterly magazine beginning in January.
- Zebra Unveils RFID Label Maker
The company has introduced a new product that can embed an RFID transponder in a label while printing and applying the label.
- New RFID Tag with More Memory
Maxell is introducing a series of RFID tags, aimed at the medical and pharmaceutical industries, that have 1, 2 and 4 kilobytes of memory.
- ABI: RFID Market Poised for Growth
The market research firm predicts that the global RFID market will reach $3.1 billion by 2008.
- Second Source of Class 1 EPC Chips
A partnership between Alien Technology and STMicro will create a new source of Class 1 EPC tags, including a version designed for use outside of the US.
- Flint Sets Up Conductive Ink Unit
The new division will develop printed RFID antennas, smart packaging and printed electronics.
- GSI to Produce Thin-Film Batteries
Printed batteries that can power low-cost active RFID labels will likely hit the market next year.
- RFID Tags for Monitoring Shelf Life
A startup is testing RFID time temperature integrators that monitor the status of perishables in real time.
- Wal-Mart CIO to Speak on RFID
Linda Dillman will talk about Wal-Mart's RFID efforts at Retail Systems2003/VICS Collaborative Commerce conference next month.
- Thin-Film Battery for RFID Sensors
Infinite Power Solutions has begun producing rechargeable batteries that could be used for smart active labels and RFID sensors.