- DOD Needs to Enforce Its Own RFID Mandate, Says Inspector General
Many suppliers and contracting officers are failing to comply with the U.S. Defense Department's directive for applying passive RFID tags to certain shipments, according to a recent investigation by the DOD's inspector general.
- Mojix to Demo Passive UHF RTLS at EPC Connection 2008
The company, a startup with a revolutionary approach to RFID, will demonstrate the ability of its STAR system to read and locate EPC Gen 2 tags in real time at EPCglobal North America's fifth annual event.
- Dow Monitors Hazardous Rail Shipments in Real Time
The system employs an RF-based auto-ID system that uses sensors, satellite communications and GPS to track the location and status of 650 tank railcars in North America.
- PinnacleHealth Extends Asset Tracking to Community Hospital
Already one of the largest active RFID deployments in health care, the system will let the staff at either site locate as many as 10,000 devices, from defibrillators to vacuum cleaners.
- Researchers Finish Work on Needle-free Glucose Tester
Developed by Gentag, Georgetown University and SAIC, the system uses a non-invasive skin patch to measure a patient's glucose level, and an RFID-enabled cell phone to receive that data.
- Spanish Postal Service Expands Its RFID Deployment
Correos is now using a total of 65,000 EPC Gen 2 RFID tags, enabling it to monitor and improve the movement of mail at 56 sorting centers.
- To Future-Proof its Future Store, Metro Group Opted for EPCglobal Standards
The retailer claims that its Future Store's butcher shop uses one of the world's first full-blown EPCIS software stacks.
- RFID Journal to Host Webinar on Tagging Sellable Units
The free webinar is aimed at Sam's Club suppliers and others interested in learning ways to tag sellable units cost-effectively.
- Kentucky, West Virginia Mines Try RFID Combined With Telecommunications
To improve safety, the mines are adopting or testing systems that use Axcess International's active RFID tags and readers, integrated with communications technologies from Tunnel Radio or Foundation Telecommunications Inc.
- Manufacturer to Track Half a Million Gas Cylinders
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. is using passive RFID tags to automate its bottling and distribution process, and to prevent the illegal diversion of its products.
- University Students Create a Virtual RFID-enabled Hospital
The group has created the facility in Second Life, a 3-D online world. The goal is to provide a way for health-care organizations to test RFID implementations prior to physical deployment.
- EPCIS Technology Improves Visibility for North Sea Oil Service and Supply Companies
An EPCIS-compliant system from Spartan Solutions Services is enabling Swire Oilfield Services and Aker Solutions to share data regarding the whereabouts of their equipment and containers.
- RFID Helps Manage Product Inspections
PeakWorks, a provider of safety harnesses, is using radio frequency identification to better manage the process of inspecting equipment critical to protecting employees working at heights.
- RFID Journal to Host Middle East Event
TagStone will be the Cornerstone Sponsor for RFID Journal LIVE! Middle East, to be held Jan. 5-7, 2009, at the Intercontinental Hotel in Dubai.
- Metro Group, DHL to Roll Out RFID in France
The rollout—which the companies claim is the largest French retail deployment—will provide Metro with a better understanding of shipment flow, while also helping reduce delays.