|Home||Internet of Things||Aerospace||Apparel||Energy||Defense||Health Care||Logistics||Manufacturing||Retail|
Ask The Experts Forum
Does Human Touch Damage Transponders?
Is it true that physical contact can damage passive tags and render them unreadable?
One way to render a passive RFID transponder unusable is to overload the circuits within the chip. This is analogous to blowing a fuse by overloading the electrical circuits in your home. Human beings are capable of building up a charge of electricity and then discharging it upon coming into contact with a metallic object (sometimes, you get a shock when you touch a doorknob, for instance). If there is a large enough discharge when you touch a transponder's microchip, it could blow a circuit and render the tag inoperable. This is a rare occurrence, because the chip is usually insulated by a paper label, a plastic inlay or some other packaging.
—Mark Roberti, Founder and Editor, RFID Journal
Login and post your comment!
Not a member?
Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!
SEND IT YOUR WAY
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL
|RFID Journal LIVE!||RFID in Health Care||LIVE! LatAm||LIVE! Brasil||LIVE! Europe||RFID Connect||Virtual Events||RFID Journal Awards||Webinars||Presentations|