Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Privacy Discussion

DiscussionsPrivacyRE: Tagging & privacy in the age of global jihad

RE: Tagging & privacy in the age of global jihad

By T. Rawat 2004-06-14 09:33:51 PM

Don't you think that your Skynet analogy is alittle melodramatic? We aren't talking about the development of AI or sentient military robots here. We are talking about fairly dumb microchips that have no power of their own, can't be read from long distances, and can't be read through metal or water very well. I am sure that you can find some RFID tags that could be successfully read from inside a human, possibly the same low frequency tag that is used to ID livestock. But that isn't what Walmart and DoD are talking about. Besides, there are plenty of easy ways to kill an RFID tag and I am sure that someone could easily develop a device to spoof tags, even those embedded in our skin. So, what are you afraid of? Why shouldn't technology be used to increase the efficiency of our society, starting with the supply chain of an industry and expanding out to every application imaginable? I believe that a world filled with tiny, relatively dumb sensors that create massive amounts of data will be a world filled with better intelligence, efficiency, service, and productivity. RFID could be one of the technologies that the US can employ to keep its competitive edge and I hope to be a part of the work that makes it all possible.

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
Tagging & privacy in the age of global jihad
By B. JAMES
By R. .
By J. SY
By T. Rawat
In the Future
By A. Patil
By M. Richardson

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL