Home Internet of Things Aerospace Apparel Energy Defense Health Care Logistics Manufacturing Retail

Privacy Discussion

DiscussionsPrivacyRE: How to dismantle the RFID?

RE: How to dismantle the RFID?

By M. Richardson 2003-12-29 03:32:16 PM

A. Razdan,

I fully understand and appreciate your sentiments. As a former aviation logistics officer in the United States Military, and having served as a business process management software consultant for several major firms including Andersen Consulting (now called Accenture), I of all people understand the efficiency and convenience that will be gained from an RFID system.
However please give very careful thought to the following:

1. WAL-MART has mandated (and I know this for a fact and can document it for you if need be) that its top 100 vendors will be RFID-compliant by the end of 2003. This means that many of the items you buy at WAL-MART will have a tag on it. Now let me ask you a question? How hard will it be for WAL-MART to acquire a chain of min-marts or gas stations or motels and equip them with RFID sensors? Do you see where I'm going with this? In the near future you will buy or pick up an object, and you will never know who or what system is tracking you! and these tags have UNIQUIE identifiers, which can trace those items to a purchase, to your credit card, etc., etc. This to me is unacceptably intrusive. If I buy something, it's mine, and no one else has a right to know about it or track it AFTER I leave the store.

2. If RFID systems deployed by WAL-MART, Proctor & Gamble, and other large companies are successful (and I believe they will be), the Federal Government will be tempted to apply RFID tagging to driver's licenses, license plates, guns, legal documents, money, etc. etc.

3. We take for granted the freedoms and protections our laws afford us here in the U.S. (and in North America in general). Those freedoms are non-existent in other parts of the world, such as Communist Controlled China, North Korea, etc. What will prevent these countries from purchasing or replicating this technology and using it to track and control PEOPLE? (if you don't know already, RFID technology is already being used on humans - see www.adsx.com). It could be used to restrict access to government offices, hospitals, etc. etc. (example, if you you are a Chinese citizen and you are prosecuted for speaking out against the Communist Party, your personal RFID tag number can be restricted, and you will no longer be able to buy food, obtain business permits, enter a hospital emergency room, etc.

This is a powerful and promising technology that has very frightening potential, so all I ask is that you keep your eyes open and be wary.

Thanks for writing me,

Jeff

Austin, Texas, USA

> Dear American Citizen'& Jeff Cross:
>
> hi,
> i read ur posts and it is really demotivating to know how
> human minds have got blocks against technology.
> truly said " one takes for granted all he has"
> today america has all possible techno devices and now thy
> are not satisfied because u want privace?????
> i dont get it
> anything that attempts to make ur life simple and processes
> involved in movemets etc. is BAD???
> is that what u sayin?
> i am surprised
> regards
> A Razdan
>
>

Login and reply to this post!

Not a member?

Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!

Thread Messages

TOPIC DATE
How to dismantle the RFID?
By B. Watts
By B. JAMES
By N. Phadnis
By M. Richardson
By E. Ruelas
By T. Rawat
By N. Phadnis
Dismantling RFID
By K. Goldstein
Finally
By R. .
By M. Richardson
By C. Kim

Start A New Discussion

PREMIUM CONTENT
Case Studies Features Best Practices How-Tos
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
Live Events Virtual Events Webinars
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL