|Home||Internet of Things||Aerospace||Apparel||Energy||Defense||Health Care||Logistics||Manufacturing||Retail|
Ask The Experts Forum
BlogsAsk The Experts ForumHow Would I Deploy an RFID System for a Library Containing Approximately 6,000 Books?
How Would I Deploy an RFID System for a Library Containing Approximately 6,000 Books?
What types of tags, readers and antennas would I require for such an implementation?
—Reginaldo (Canoas, Brazil)
There are companies that offer complete RFID solutions for libraries. One is called Bibliotheca). Another is 3M Library Solutions). These businesses employ passive high-frequency (HF) tags, and provide handheld readers, portals, self-checkout kiosks and software.
In terms of cost, figure $1,800 for 6,000 tags at 30 cents apiece. A single gate reader for the exit would cost approximately $10,000, while three staff stations would cost $6,000. That's a total of $17,800.
It is also possible to build a solution from scratch. You could use HF or ultrahigh-frequency (UHF) tags, and purchase off-the-shelf handheld readers, such as Motorola's MC3190-Z handheld, as well as portals from a company such as Industrial Portals). You would also need to develop or purchase software and hire a systems integrator to put the solution together.
Listed below are some articles we have published about libraries using RFID. I hope this information helps you.
• How Does RFID Work in Libraries
• New Orleans Library Reopens With RFID
• The Queens Library System Grows With RFID
• In the U.K., Libraries Switch to Self-Serve
• RFID Helps CSU Library Automate Sortation, Storage
• Munich Libraries Add New Readers
• Hamburg Library Moves to RFID
• Colorado Library Checks Out RFID
• Do I Need Both Bar Codes and RFID for Library Applications?
• Amsterdam Libraries Deploying RFID
• Library to Deploy Ultra-Long-Life RFID Tags for Historical Collection
—Mark Roberti, Founder and Editor, RFID Journal
Login and post your comment!
Not a member?
Signup for an account now to access all of the features of RFIDJournal.com!
SEND IT YOUR WAY
RFID JOURNAL EVENTS
ASK THE EXPERTS
Simply enter a question for our experts.
TAKE THE POLL
|RFID Journal LIVE!||RFID in Health Care||LIVE! LatAm||LIVE! Brasil||LIVE! Europe||RFID Connect||Virtual Events||RFID Journal Awards||Webinars||Presentations|